Wikipedia: Hotel St. George, once the largest hotel in New York City, was located in the heart of scenic Brooklyn Heights. Today, it is a landmarked building in the first historically landmarked neighborhood in New York. Its various constituent buildings, mostly surviving, were built between 1885 and 1929, although it no longer operates as a hotel. It was conveniently located just one subway stop from Manhattan, atop the Clark Street-Brooklyn Heights station. The subway station still operates inside the Hotel itself, right before the main door leading to the no longer operating Ballroom and check-in. The St. George Tower once drew celebrities, athletes, and every presidential hopeful flocking to its many ballrooms and the largest indoor salt-water pool in the United States. Part of The Godfather was filmed in the St. George. The last remaining portion of the hotel operating as such was burnt down in a fire in August, 1995 although its signage remains for historical purposes. The St. George is not a single building but a collection of ones built at different times. The St. George occupied a full city block bounded by Clark Street, Pineapple Street, Hicks Street and Henry Street. The main building, The St. George Tower is the most visible portion of the complex at over 30 stories tall. The St. George Tower is now a residential cooperative building. The 100 Henry Street entrance, also known as the Weller Wing of the St. George and previously the hotel entrance, is now part of Educational Housing Services which provides dormitory service to NYC area university students. This same entrance also allows access to the Studio Wing also owned by EHS. In 2005, EHS expanded their St. George operations and opened a new wing of the building at 55 Clark Street known as Clark Residence. It is built on the site of the building that was destroyed in 1995. EHS houses 1200 students from all over the country and from all over the world. Along its Clark Street and Henry Street fronts, the former Hotel St. George buildings also house shops, restaurants, and charming neighborhood shops at street level. A subway entrance still operates within the building. The hotel was the subject of a song by The Hassles, written by Billy Joel and recorded in 1968. The song can be heard on The Hassles album, 'Hour of the Wolf', and on the bootleg Billy Joel compilation, entitled Billy Joel Sings. Leonard Bernstein conducted the New York Philharmonic in a recording for Columbia [now Sony Classical] of Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet fantasy overture at the hotel on January 28, 1957. [Source: notes on SONY SMK 47632].